Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms #1) by Morgan Rhodes

Title: Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms #1)
Author: Morgan Rhodes
Pages: 412
Genre: Fantasy (Teen)
Publisher: Razorbill/Penguin Canada
Release Date: December 11, 2012
Buy: Amazon|Chapters Indigo| Kobo

Summary (Goodreads)
In the three kingdoms of Mytica, magic has long been forgotten. And while hard-won peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest now simmers below the surface.

As the rulers of each kingdom grapple for power, the lives of their subjects are brutally transformed... and four key players, royals and rebels alike, find their fates forever intertwined. Cleo, Jonas, Lucia, and Magnus are caught in a dizzying world of treacherous betrayals, shocking murders, secret alliances, and even unforeseen love.

The only outcome that's certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?

It's the eve of war.... Choose your side.


Princess: Raised in pampered luxury, Cleo must now embark on a rough and treacherous journey into enemy territory in search of magic long thought extinct.

Rebel: Jonas, enraged at injustice, lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country cruelly impoverished. To his shock, he finds himself the leader of a people's revolution centuries in the making.

Sorceress: Lucia, adopted at birth into the royal family, discovers the truth about her past—and the supernatural legacy she is destined to wield.

Heir: Bred for aggression and trained to conquer, firstborn son Magnus begins to realize that the heart can be more lethal than the sword....
 


Review: 

I'm in utter shock after reading the first book in this series. It was fast pace, the plot thickening and the character development than any high fantasy series I have read so far. I can see why it is compared to Game of Thrones because the world and characters are so well developed that you will never know what will happen to each character. Falling Kingdoms was amazing from beginning to end as I was envisioning what is happening while I was reading. When I was done reading I already had a feeling I would be hooked to this series.

In the world where Elementia is a secret, three kingdoms are on the verge of war. After what happened to his brother Jonas seeks revenge. Living in Paelsia which was known for its beautiful lands and resources has now turned into a wasteland. It is by stealing and selling wine that he has kept his family alive. Princess Cleo of Auranos  has witnessed the murder of Jonas' brother from the hands of Aron. She is also on the quest to save her sister to find magic. By her side she has her best friend Nic and bodyguard Theon. In the kingdom of Limeros lives Lucia and Magnus who are brother and sister. When Lucia finds out that the power within her can change the world and future.

I loved how each character was laid out so clearly that you couldn't help root for each one of them. Each one of them matures throughout the whole novel. I definitely saw it with Cleo, Magnus and Jonas as they each go through the novel. By the end the villain of the story will be determined all because of power. I did hate King Gauis and his brutality, especially towards Magnus. From the beginning I hated Aron who is such an a-whole and manipulative that I wish I could kill him through most scenes.

Each kingdom is known for something important like how Auranos is for wealth and resources, where Paelsia is more known as a wasteland and for their wine. It really connected how in real life the Wars and what countries are really facing when they are poor. The writing was easy to understand and the characters were rich with development as well as that plot! I felt like crying during some scenes because most of them were shocking. Falling Kingdoms is a must read for those who love fantasy, romance, action and definitely magic!

5/5

Comments

  1. Ahhh I'm so glad you enjoyed this book! I've heard so many good things about it that even though all I knew was about it being fantasy (which might have sold me anyway ahah) I had to go and pick it up. Now I'm even more excited about discovering these characters :D
    Enchanted by YA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I try to get back to all comments, so check the box for follow up emails, or give me the link to your blog and I'll stop by! I love reading comments!

Thanks Amanda

Popular posts from this blog

BIG Giveaway Surprise

March Madness Box Giveaway!!!

Mid-Winter's Eve Giveaway Hop